Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"Wii" Are Family

I live in a very closely knit family, but these days we're all very busy and often times don't have time to just sit and talk about our days with each other like we used to. I live in Oswego for about seven or eight months out of the year. My sister works two jobs, and although she still lives at home, she is never there. My brother is 16 and lives at home, but between friends, sports, and school functions, he isn't home nearly as much as he used to be. Often times it's difficult to get the five of us together in one room, but when we do, it's for the same reasons that it used to be; a video game night.

These days we don't play the Super Nintendo together anymore though. We play the Nintendo Wii. Since the Nintendo Wii is an interactive gaming system, my parents felt it necessary to get one for the family. It seemed only right. We have two Super Nintendos, a Nintendo64, three Nintendo Game Cubes, two Play Station 2s, and an XBox 360. Why not add a Nintendo Wii to the mix?

With the interactive bowling and tennis, my parents started arranging little family tournaments. I win the tennis tournament every time, but the bowling champion changes with every tournament. Besides the sports games that come with the system, we have Just Dance 2, an interactive dancing game where you follow the onscreen choreography. My parents enjoy watching me and my brother dance together. Due to my horrible coordination, I'm not specifically good at the dancing game, but I do my best to supply my parents with hours of entertainment.

Other Nintendo Wii games that I enjoy are Disney Sing-it and Glee Karaoke, two games that come with microphones and act as karaoke games. I play these with family and with friends. Now I'm not the best singer in the world, but I try my best to win points and unlock awards by singing songs decently and slightly on pitch.

My friends though, don't care about those things. When Anne sings "Can You Feel the Love Tonight", a classic song from The Lion King, I swear a cat is dying somewhere. She sings as loud and off pitch as she possibly can. It's not a problem since I don't play for points with the girls, but wow, it can definitely be painful sometimes.

The only song on my Disney Sing-it that Anne will take seriously is "A Whole New World" from Aladdin, and she will only take it seriously if she's singing Aladdin's part of the duet. She's something else that girl, but she has a way of making everyone laugh, no matter the game she's playing.

I feel like the Nintendo Wii has become an all too important part of my life, but only because it's been a great way to bring my family back together. It's helping me and my family become more active and giving us a way to connect that had been lost on us for many years.

It has also given me and my friends just one more way to entertain ourselves during the below zero nights in this bitter cold city of Oswego.

5 comments:

  1. Wait a minute...there is a Glee Karaoke? Why didn't anyone tell me!?!?!

    I remember when my sister first got her Wii. For me it was exciting to play for the first few times and then it just got boring. Haven't played it in over a year so maybe I'll give it a go again.

    -Chris G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only gaming system I own is PS2, but the Wii has been a favorite of mine in recent years. Last year, my neighbors in Seneca had a Wii and there were plenty of heated bowling matches.
    Also, I feel bad for all those cats dying, but I can't help but want to hear Anne belt out "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glee Karaoke. That is two of the world's best gifts in one little package. Although I really wonder about how the less gifted singers cope with being able to compete. I would probably crack some windows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Co-sign on the great title. I actually have a Wii but I barely ever play it because I also have ps3 and that gets most of my attention. I used to be a bowling champ though so I might have to get back into it.

    ReplyDelete